Renters insurance — also known as an HO-4 policy — is a homeowner’s insurance policy that protects a renter’s personal belongings against theft, fire, certain natural disasters and other perils.
Renters insurance also provides liability protection, covers medical payments to others and pays additional living expenses when a covered loss prevents the tenant from living in the home. This type of policy does not cover the dwelling itself.
The best renters insurance companies provide standard coverage and plenty of add-ons to help you customize your policy, all for an affordable premium. In fact, according to the NAIC, the average premium cost of a renters insurance policy is only $15 a month. The insurers listed here offer coverage options on or below that price range.
Read on to find out more about our top picks for the best renters insurance providers of the year.
Our Top Picks for Best Renters Insurance
- Lemonade – Most for Customized Coverage
- Erie Insurance – Best Comprehensive Coverage
- Nationwide – Best Optional Add-Ons
- Amica Mutual – Best for Multiple Discounts
- Allstate – Best for Retirees
- Auto-Owners – Best Worldwide Coverage
- State Farm – Best for Reliable Coverage
- Young Alfred – Best Online Insurance Agency
Best Renters Insurance Reviews
- Holds a B-Corp certification for environmental and social responsibility
- Offers lower rates than other insurers
- Claims can be filed through the mobile app with a video recording
- Claims are filed and processed in as little as 3 minutes
In the case of marketplaces and fintech insurers, which are not registered with the NAIC or have financial strength or customer service ratings, we considered the overall value offered.
That means we reviewed companies offering innovative quotes or claims processes or features that help customers compare policies with ease and speed.